Searching for Sea Lice

Searching for Sea Lice

Wild Salmon Smolts

Wild Salmon Smolts

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Rainy Bergen

I ran into Eoin (pronounced Owen) the other day, a friend from Ireland who lives in the International Student Dorms with me. As we stood in the pouring rain, he said, "Can you believe it? It rains here more than in Ireland!" I replied that I think it might actually rain more here than in Southeast Alaska, too! And when people from two of the most notoriously rainy places on earth both think it's raining too much, you know it's bad.

My Norwegian cousin, Marta Kristin, sent me a text message yesterday on my new phone. It was a story/joke in Norwegian, but I'll translate for you all.

When God was done creating Bergen he looked down and said, "Perfect, I will wash this city at least two times a day!" -and so it is.

Norwegian: Da gud var ferdig med å lage Bergen så han ned og sa: "Perfekt, denne byen skal jeg vaske minst to ganger døgnet!" -og slik ble det.

It's really amazing - it's the kind of rain that keeps coming from all directions and soaks you completely, no matter how many layers of raingear you are wearing. I've heard a rumor that it rains more in the fall than any other time of year, so hopefully the winter and spring will let up a bit.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Kristin!

Great to hear from you. I love your Blog. I look forward to learning more about Norway, your adventures, and your studies.

I was scheduled to guide all day today, but high winds kept us ashore. It rained here yesterday - my day off, so I worked on the Glacier Bay slide show and did some cooking. I never imagined Norway as rainy - hope the fall rains end soon.

Think of you often and wish you the greatest of adventures,

Laura

Lisa M said...

Hi Kristin,

Love your blog! And the photos. This part of Norway is gorgeous. But I can't imagine it raining even more than Oregon and SE Alaska!

I'm envious of the wild berries everywhere. I have fond memories of your blueberry buckle on the Home Shore!

I look forward to keeping up with your adventures through your blog.

Lisa